SEO. Content. Writing. Those three words sum up the “who,” “what” and “how” of writing content that converts.
Website content is evolving, but is essentially the same in 2019 as it was in the past, with one huge difference.
Your competitors are much more likely to be regularly publishing fresh, authoritative content. The bar is constantly being raised for content that generates conversions and returns a respectable ROI.
SEO – Know Your Audience
Good SEO (search engine optimization) puts the link to your content in front of the reader after a search.
You want your link to be in the top three on the SERP (search engine results page). The lower your link on the page, the fewer people will see it. Every link after page 1 doesn’t exist for practical purposes.
The best possible result is to have your content appear ABOVE the organic links as a featured snippet. When your company’s link displays in the snippet box, give yourself a huge pat on the back.
- Research your customers. Who are they? Where are they? Talk to them on social media. Run surveys.
- Review your keywords periodically. Trends change.
- The better you know your customers, the easier it will be to come up with great topics.
- If your keywords don’t fit naturally into a topic, it’s probably not relevant and won’t help your Google ranking.
- Voice search is increasingly important. Optimize your keywords for both typed and spoken search phrases.
Content – Become an Authority in Your Field
Content quality matters – a lot. Google rewards in-depth content with higher rankings. This trend became evident in 2018 and continues.
You’re an expert at what you do. You’ve learned a lot, much of it the hard way. Pass it on.
- Longer informative content typically ranks higher with Google.
- Search terms help you come up with topics since they reflect customer problems.
- Write a great guide and update it periodically to keep it fresh. It will keep bringing in leads.
- Add videos and images to your written content. About 70 of the top 100 search result listings include videos.
- Invest in professional videos. You only have 5-10 seconds to grab and hold the viewer.
Writing – SEO and Internet Style
The “rules” of writing internet content aren’t difficult, but worth paying attention to. Don’t try to retrofit keywords into completed content. Google algorithms will probably detect the lack of authenticity.
At a minimum, include important keywords in:
- Your title, preferably toward the front
- Alt attributes on images
- H1 headings
- Meta description
Writing for the Internet
You’re writing website content, not a novel or white paper. Your SEO did its job and brought you a visitor with a question. Now you need to hold their interest and solve their problem.
SEO Writing Tips
- As always, know your audience.
- Be as technical as necessary, but don’t sacrifice clarity. Define terms and acronyms.
- Have keywords flow naturally throughout the content, but don’t “stuff” keywords.
- Internet content is often written for a 10th grade reading level. This may or may not be appropriate for your audience. Check readability level and adjust if needed.
- Use short paragraphs. Dense blocks of text will bounce visitors to your competitor.
- Bold text and bullets add emphasis and clarity.
- Outlines help organize your thoughts but don’t need to be fancy. A simple list of subtopics might be enough.
- Calendar in writing time and avoid distractions.
- Don’t wait for inspiration to strike like lightning. Won’t happen. Just begin writing, even if you discard it later.
- Edit, rewrite and edit again. Run spell checks and grammar checks.
- Write about what you love. You’re providing a friend you haven’t met with the solution to a problem.
The BXP Creative team is committed to powerful content. We’re your creative team behind the scenes, providing the services you need to boost your Google ranking and generate leads and conversions – without breaking the bank.
Check our case studies and see how we solved problems for other clients.
How can we help you? Let’s talk. Call (267) 908 7841 or tell us about your problem today.